Monday, April 25, 2011

He isn't about flow, but counter-flow.

I went to a really beautiful two and a half hour long Easter Vigil service at the Catholic church with my grandpa and sister. The more I read the Word the more I really love going to the Catholic church. I don't agree with absolutely everything they do and believe, but the mass is beautifully filled with scripture!! The prayers are strait from the Bible. We sang so many beautiful Psalms!! I asked my grandpa if he can get me the books that have the sermons and prayers before they are thrown away. I loved everything we prayed, sang, and read, so much!! Because it was straight from the Bible, and the Word always fills me with joy!

The funny thing about going to the Catholic church (I grew up into it until about last year at this time), is no one smiles. Everyone is serious or frowning. I always feel like I am the only one smiling. But I could care less!!! If the Word fills me with that much joy, I can't help but smile even if I am with hundreds of frowning serious somber people! To me what we are saying, praying, singing, and listening to is beyond beautiful. I can't help but smile like a fool. :)


Anyway, the Priest gave a really good sermon.


He said, "Jesus is Radical. Counter-cultural.
He isn't about flow, but counter-flow.
He's about Care. Concern. Chastity.
Compassion. Truth. Keeping your word.
Respecting women, and not lusting after them.
true Joy!"



The message said a lot more good stuff too. The message he preached was that we need to be careful when we say we want to be like Jesus. When we say we want to be one with Him. Jesus is different! Radical. Counter-cultural. Do we really want to go against the norm? Do we really want to let Him in? Let Him work in us??


I do.

And I will add a few more to the list: He's about spending time at His Father's house. Loving your enemies. Turning your other cheek rather than seeking revenge.
Discipleship. Honesty. Brotherly love.
He's Rebellious. An enemy of the world. Non-materialistic.

Radical, CRAZY love for God and for all.



24 "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 25For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. 26For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? 27For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. 28Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

-Matthew 16:24-28



Jesus said, "You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life. 41 “I do not accept glory from human beings, 42 but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. 43 I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. 44 How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?"

-John 5:39-44


“The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly. For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light. 9 I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings. 10 “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? 12 And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own? 13 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” 14 The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus. 15 He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts. What people value highly is detestable in God’s sight.
-Luke 16:8-15











Which Jesus do you follow?
Which Jesus do you serve?
If Ephesians says to imitate Christ
Then why do you look so much like the world?

Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the arrogant
So which one do you want to be?

Blessed are the poor in spirit
Or do we pray to be blessed with the wealth of this land
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness
Or do we ache for another taste of this world of shifting sand

Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins
He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the rich
So which one do you want to be?

Who is this that you follow
This picture of the American dream
If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side or fall down and worship at His holy feet

Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion
Is how you see Him as He dies for Your sins
But the Word says He was battered and scarred
Or did you miss that part
Sometimes I doubt we'd recognize Him

Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and the least of these
He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable
So which one do you want to be?

Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet
But He reaches for the hurting and despises the proud
I think He'd prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd
And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud

I want to be like my Jesus!
I want to be like my Jesus!
I want to be like my Jesus!
I want to be like my Jesus!

Not a posterchild for American prosperity, but like my Jesus
You see I'm tired of living for success and popularity
I want to be like my Jesus but I'm not sure what that means to be like You Jesus
Cause You said to live like You, love like You but then You died for me
Can I be like You Jesus?
I want to be like You Jesus!
I want to be like my Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment